PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ornge helicopter crash
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2013, 14:30
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SASless: I hesitate to comment that we are slightly different here in the UK for several reasons:

The CAA are very risk averse in the UK [Some might say they suffocate aviation in some areas]. However, I stand corrected but our accident rate in public service aviation is very good compared to 'most' other countries around the world. Excuse the pun - but this is not by accident.....the CAA may have something to do with it.
Secondly, we are a tiny geographical nation. You can't fly far without bumping into serious ambient lighting. The CAA are fully aware of this and tailor the rules accordingly.
Operating under NVG requires the pilot to maintain his/her normal visual references based on ambient lighting in the event the goggles fail. You are NOT allowed to operate goggles where both tubes have a common power source and you cannot go where manual reversion leaves you up a valley with no visual refs.
And as I said earlier - not much of GB has many dark satanic areas left!

That is why the CAA are a little more relaxed over night HEMS. It is coming, as we speak. Required visual references in addition to the lack of corporate pressure to make a buck ambulance chasing - adds atleast two further layers of safety between flying and crashing.

As I said before - you guys who fly long routes (negative ambient lighting) in the US and/or Aussie land - hats off to you guys, can't think of anything more demanding in aviation than trying to stay wings level (IMC)with poorly equipped cabs. I have been there many many times and it makes your skin creep.

Last edited by Thomas coupling; 6th Jun 2013 at 14:34.