PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it about the Wessex that makes people so fond of it?
Old 6th Jun 2013, 00:22
geebee50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WESSEX V HMS GLASGOW COMEDY FLIGHT

Around 1993 I was tasked to investigate from a police perspective and after a Unit Inquiry the incident of a Wessex striking a type 42 destroyer HMS Glasgow. I travelled to Leuchars more or less on the same week the Sqn was being disbanded to start inquiries and managed to secure some docs and thereafter chased the ship around various ports to get witness statements.

Does anyone recall this incident? I do and you could not make it up. From the pilots not knowing what a destroyer looked like other than Janes Defence Manual to the winchman throwing flour bombs onto the bridge whilst the aircraft was about to strike the ship completely, resulting in one very damaged front radome on the ship and a bent tailwheel on the Wessex.

I will not mention the pilots names but they could have been character names in Trumpton. I investigated many other mid air and ground incidents each with its own unique story and with some sad endings. This post does not aim to suggest any wrong doings as these issues are already in the public domain or not.