PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last of the line
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2013, 22:27
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Laarbruch 72,

I do not know what you've been reading on this thread but I believe that most, who note the passing of the trade, have had contact with RAF Painters and Dopers. For my part I first met these tradesmen at RAF Colerne 1971, where they did "Albert" in a very fetching brown and tan, with white flight deck roof. There followed Akrotiri, Vulcan second line painters, super finish, RAF College Cranwell where both JPs and Dominies received superb paint jobs. I well remember a transmitter oil leak on my next posting (Nimrod AEW), the silicone based oil, being hygroscopic led to the aircrafts paint lying on the hangar floor overnight. The painters not only put the paint back on it, but managed to degrease it to allow the phenomenon. Finally, and having vivid memories of it, the attempt by the Ground Engineers (all TG1) to paint the deployed 47SF C130s a particular brand of pink was not a great success. Had there been a professional RAF Painter and Finisher there the result could well have been much better. I am, by trade, an Airframe Fitter, but I do respect the support I and many others have received over the years of our careers from the "aircraft finishers". It's a shame that it appears you have not had the opportunity to experience an old and very useful trade.

Smudge