PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2013, 18:44
GROUNDHOG

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

So lets try to answer some of the previous assumptions with fact.

St Ives was busy over half term .... well if it wasn't busy as that is a peak week and it is one of the most popular places in Cornwall to see. But why all the Germans? Maybe the arrival of cruise liners Delphin (520 passengers), Berlin (450 passengers) that week into Falmouth has something to do with it. Artania bought 1188 of our German friends the week before and 590 arrive on Astor next week - should I go on?

There may well be a demand for a limited number of high season flights to the Fatherland as Cornishsimon suggest but I venture that demand is limited and would not change the airport's fortunes.

Paully:- to quote John McEnroe..... " You cannot be serious"

Phileas:- You are getting to used to that Tropical Island, the Winters here are great (compared to my other home anyway) its the Summer that is the problem.

Plymspotter:- Car hire at Newquay Airport is limited. Not surprising when just down the road in Truro you have a choice of Hertz,Avis,Europcar etc and half a dozen local companies most of whom will deliver to the airport if required!

Getting here, true the rest of the UK has more attractions than Cornwall does but then it is a bit bigger. The trains are slow though we are promised this is being attended to and Mr Cameron has granted the cash to widen the pinch point on the A30 at Temple to match the rest of the dual carriageway/ motorway which will then reach all the way to Scotland! Add the planned improvements to the A303 and Reading to Heathrow rail link and journeys will be much swifter

Many German and Dutch people arrive in motorhomes and towing caravans, the journey is no problem and IS the holiday. Last year we took our motorhome the other way through France, Switzerland,Germany etc.... do you know what in France I went into a shop and the b@ggers started talking FRENCH! Disgusting!!

Finally yes the airport is hampered in being run by the Council but we all have to understand Newquay is and always will be small regional airport with a limited catchment area so they have a bit of a battle on.

It has three choices:-
Continue at a loss, attracting the scraps where possible
Diversify into other areas, the Helicopter Maintenance Base is a good example
Go to Devon with Plymouth - oh sorry that should read Heaven not Devon.

Sent from Kernow - Land of the friendly folk.