PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can Heathrow so many movements?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2013, 13:12
Howabout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spit, Good on you - I wish you success with your thesis.

Other posters: please feel free to shoot me down - I don't want to give a young lad/lass a bum steer, and there are plenty out there with a damned sight more knowledge than me. But, for what it's worth, and in my experience, as follows:

In a 'standard' environment, an airfield with one runway handling a normal mix of traffic; turbos, medium jets and heavies can safely accommodate 40 movements per hour.

That's a real basic stat Spit, but holds true in my experience.

We then have the added levels of complexity, as alluded to by some of the brains on this thread - parallel runways, distance between runways, high-speed turn-offs, noise abatement; the list goes on. Some of these factors contribute to increased capacity, others hinder it.

The problem in 'modelling runway capacities' is that there are so many variables. And don't discount the political as regards noise abatement, which includes the politicians insisting on 'noise-sharing' that inhibits the ability of the coalface (the controllers) to move more traffic than they actually can.

Writing a thesis on this stuff, Spit, is a real challenge. Where to start and not tie yourself up in knots? How does one write a tight paper that is logical and flows?

My advice is to start with the basic stat (40 movements per hour for a single runway), then discuss variable by variable the factors that influence capacity - parallel runways etc. That will give you some structure and a starting point. You can then identify section by section those factors that increase and decrease capacity. Even then, the variables will overlap - it's a complex environment and there are no absolutes.

To the brotherhood reading this, I am prepared for incoming and have retreated with a Merlot.

Good luck Spit!