PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hats off to the RPG!
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2013, 10:20
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear, people.....apart from feedinga very obvious TROLL,- just run the figures for this "lucrative " "cushy" job

Training, to the point you can take Command= Around £150 K......repay it over 10 years and that's around £300K total, with interest.

Put the same resources into a house and it will actually appreciate, even in this recession, at ~3 1/2 % PA.

However, you're now committed to repay 30K a year out of TAX PAID wages

At this point, I'm thinking you're all mad...but there's more....because the job has restrictions, your amount of flying-time is closed-ended,-you cannot work "overtime " to earn extra and repay that debt quicker....the only way forward is to UP THE HOURLY RATE.
How many times have I read in this Forum , of retired Pilots with 30 thousand or more hours total time? How many ever stopped to think.....
"I paid well over a fiver an hour , just for the right to sit in that seat"

Your investment depreciates from the moment you get your Type-Rating. Overpaid and under-worked? surely a sick joke.

Anyone today, who allows the lure of driving a shiny jet, to overrule the reality of the true (poor) rewards for their efforts, wants their bumps feeling.

No wonder MOL and his ilk are laughing all the way to the bank.
NOTE:- I am not, and have never been, in the Aviation Industry. It IS undoubtedly a ruthless business and budgets are staggering (I just read £80K for a Pilot's seat- and they commonly keep one in stock, "in case" )

Unfortunately, Aircrew have an emotional attachment to flying and current managements exploit this to keep T's and C's depressed.

To restore sanity needs a radical reduction on numbers training and fleet sizes.

When the amount of potential Pax who can actually afford a premium fare, and the number of seats available is almost the same, your conditions will get better.

Whilst there are huge numbers of seats to fill, the only way forward , is to drop the price so more can afford to fill them.

No matter how much you dislike RYR, it's tactics,ethos and HR, IT FILLS SEATS.

YES! there's a bit of fat there and IMO flight-crews deserve a nibble at that.

Perhaps, the suggestion I made many moons ago, is worthy of consideration.

BUY SHARES IN RYR....If a RYR Personnell "union" held them in trust, all members would get a share in the profits.......they'd also get a share in the possibility of the airline falling on hard-times and going TU.....but there you go- rarely do you get the penny AND the toffee!.