PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ornge helicopter crash
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2013, 10:03
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS and CotB, it is possible you guys are correctly reading the reports and CF is correct. I don't know the particulars but this operation was run for decades by Canadian Helicopters, and the captain may have flown with them. Again, I don't know the truth but rather pointing out that neither do most of us here.

Ultimately, it means only a little. Even years of experience in the night VFR/IFR environment does not make anyone immune from a bad day. Time in does not by itself prevent CFIT.
=====================

The measurements on the swath in the trees are ridiculously out of whack. Anyone can use tree height and compare it to the width of the cut. I doubt the trees are 125 meters high. More likely 30-50 feet, maybe less.
=====================

I sometimes ask myself why I keep getting into these discussions on here. I think it is because there is a whole new generation that uses the online world as their coffee table, their kitchen, their corner bar and bartender. We need to weed out the crap for them, as we have no choice.
=====================

When I flew on this operation, better than a decade ago, I was so very fortunate to receive my training at the hands of some incredibly experienced pilots. These men took the time to show me what the 76A could and could not do, how to use every tool the system had in it to get the job done, and how to remember that in the end we were not 'heroes' but rather drivers. Use every tool as long as it was safe and legal.

Sadly, most of those old hands are gone now. Moved on for many reasons but the turmoil at CHL/Ornge hasn't helped.

To borrow from another story, when I arrived on base there were a lot of Zeke's, and because they truly cared about the job we did, they went out of their way to make absolutely certain I would become an old Brad, not a Timothy. Thanks guys.