PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those of you in the CEP "hold pool" forget it...
Old 12th Oct 2001, 17:06
The Guvnor

Cool

I strongly suspect that BACE will be sold, in all probability to Maersk. BA's own shorthaul operations would then be in some doubt - and may also be 'franchised off' elsewhere.

This, as WWW rightly identifies, is an area of BA that has been a consistent money-loser; yet profitable for others.

I'm personally convinced that BA's going to transform itself into a 'superbrand' which will franchise out all operations and have a staff of 20. People would be employed by the franchisees, each of whom would have their own T&Cs.

I suspect as well airlines are going to pay much more attention to costs: and that will mean drastically salary cuts at the higher levels; more productivity requirements; and far less - if any - investment in CEP schemes. I also foresee the end of the seniority system which will mean that people will be employed based on the ratings they already hold: so if XYZ Air wants B777 pilots they will go out and employ 777 rated pilots; equally if they intend to close down the 737 fleet then that would mean that only the people on that fleet would be affected.

This is going to mean that more airlines are going to require that wannabes come to them with ratings that they need - as Southwest does in the States. No 737 rating; no interview. Simple as that.

Anyone who thinks that things are going to go back to they way they were before September is dangerously naive.