PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats the worst fog you have seen?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2013, 08:39
Valdiviano

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Launceston, 1982, about 0330, L188 with a crazy but very nice ex crop duster from NZ as the Cpt, airport closed due fog, FO (me) mind in neutral after a long night. Cpt asked tower for a start clearance and to have a look, we could barely see the taxi way lights, got clearance to line up and see how many lights we could see, about 30 / 40 mts was all, he asked tower for clearance to taxi along the rwy, they ok, taxied about 100 mts and on the brakes opened the throttles ( about 15 feet discs x 4) he did this about 4 times every 100 mts, asked for back track, rwy clear, quickly back track to threshold, asked me how many lights can you see, we agreed we had sufficient for a legal T O, we could see the fog rolling quickly in again, asked for a T O clearance, we got that, and left. I learned something that night.
I have a couple of other GREAT flight with him in the Electra as it was being retired in 1983. Dawn between Townsville and Cairns B050, coastal.
Hobart to Launceston special charter at 1600 also got a clearance B050, I remember telling him " You are nearly retired, I am just starting, we will be both OUT of a job" Got photos of the sheep running up the sides of the valley higher up than the Electra. The good old days. Survived that but resigned in 89.