PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2013, 06:35
steelbranch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a humble PPL holder and not a professional pilot, and at the risk of having my head shot off, it is interesting to note the issues raised regarding organisational culture and how this can impact the decision making process of the pilots. There seems to be a disconnect between the fact that the buck supposedly stops with the Captain, and the operational considerations and management diktats which he/she must also balance sound decisions against.

It has been mentioned that maintenance was being completed while the aircraft was still on stand and the question also asked, well, does the pilot go back out and check that the engineers have closed the cowl doors properly? When time is of the essence? When the engineers are also professionals?

Flightglobal mentioned the following in a piece about the incident last week:

"Incidents involving the A320, notably those caused by failure to latch the doors upon closure, have plagued the type for more than two decades.

Airbus has previously noted that the A320 is particularly vulnerable because the engine pods have a ground clearance of less than 70cm (27in), and checking them during walk-round requires the observer to crouch low.

Some operators have introduced procedures requiring dual independent checks on the doors.

Airbus has been reluctant to pursue a cockpit warning system."

As an observer, it does seem that there are many links in the chain, outside the pilot's direct control, but for which he is ultimately responsible. Would this be fair to say? It would be interesting to hear from line pilots on this. Does BA, for instance, require dual independent checks on cowl doors?

While the actions of the crew have been praised widely, it would also be interesting to know their current status, i.e. active or otherwise pending investigation. I wonder will they ultimately end up carrying the can on this one, like the poor Captain of G-AWNO. I hope not.

Finally, since the aircraft is certified to fly safely on one engine in certain abnormal circumstances, under which this incident would seem to fall, then is it right to talk about the irresponsibility of flying over central London in such a condition? Unless of course it's known for sure that they shut down the wrong engine.