PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 5th Jun 2013, 02:15
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entsch adjournment speech!

Wazza's speech almost follows verbatim his previous media release back on the '19th of March' and also covered by 'Paul Phelan'.

Part of one of the comments from the PP article more than summarises the past and current status quo within the walls of Fort Fumble :
There is no judicial process, no appeal, they have used delay as a deadly weapon. Staff are sacked, finance companies take back their aircraft and another good Australian General Aviation company is gone forever. Is it any wonder that the oil companies are de-commissioning refueling points all over Australia? General Aviation is dying because governments have allowed CASA to run amock with the millions of taxpayer funds. Waste, incompetence and dysfunction are the hallmarks of CASA, a federal body out of control.
Maybe Creamy is right about Wazza but I do find it interesting that he has waited this long to introduce the matter to the parliament when the original media release came out in a sitting week?

Then we have the enquiry report which Senator Heffernan emphasised was apolitical..."It weighed heavily on the minds of all members of the committee—and you will note it was a unanimous report—that we address the issues raised in the way we have. We absolutely wanted to be open and honest in that report and we did not want to have even the slightest prospect that in future there could be a calamity which would come back to haunt our conscience...."

And we had several commitments throughout the day in Senate Estimates from Mr Mrdak, example:
Mr Mrdak: We already have officers in the department—and clearly me and senior officers—who have carefully read the report now. I have had discussions with my senior officers. We envisage being in a position to provide some initial advice to the minister, I expect, certainly within the next week to 10 days in relation to it. We have been through the process of the budget and now estimates. I envisage having conversations with the Civil Aviation Safety Authority CEO and the head of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau in the coming days to ascertain their views, to enable me to provide a comprehensive view to the minister, I would hope by the end of next week.
And we also had Senator Edwards putting Mrdak and by default the Minister on notice:
Senator EDWARDS: When do you think the department will be responding to the Senate report?
Mr Mrdak: I undertook this morning to get some advice to the minister within the next week in relation to the initial piece of advice. That is the approach. I cannot comment on when the government will respond to the report, but I think, as I acknowledged to the committee this morning, the minister certainly understands the urgency of responding to the report.
Senator EDWARDS: Aviation safety and its culture cannot wait. Thanks.
The end of the week is fast approaching...maybe the government response will be inadequate and largely discussed behind closed doors but there is definitely more to follow!