PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2013, 22:49
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danny,

I have the honour to request,

Firstly, having followed this thread from inception I'm sure "Cliffnemo" would be proud that the thread continues after all this time, I'm not sure whether records have been set, I suspect yes, but I do know that I never miss a day without checking what's happening on "Gaining a Pilots brevet......" I'm sure all followers will have a beer for Cliff on this anniversary.

Secondly, as I see it the thread title calls the shots. Now, whatever way you want to wiggle your joystick, you did, and therefore you have a devoted audience who are keen to know how we get to where "You" are today (I don't see a limitation on when your story stops as you qualify for the original subject of the thread).

Throughout this thread (our journey) we have had diversions (not a bad word for ground crew?) to civilian aircraft hijacking, bomb trolleys stolen from the RAF, and how to beat officialdom in the pursuit of having a decent squadron fund. As someone who served in the RAF for 30 years, it took this thread, for me to realise that young chaps like yourself served and fought so hard in India. The beauty of the whole thing is that it relates, not only to your service, Cliff and all the other contributors from that time. But it makes the likes of a young shaver "like mesself" think and say " not too much change then. Danny, sorry to go on, I joined PPRUNE because of my interest in this thread, I think it belongs exactly where it is, and the continuing story of a Pilot, who earned his brevet in WW2, regardless of branch, is essential reading. I do hope that somewhere, a co contributor can help you along, and who knows, maybe even now, there's someone from the qualifying period sharpening his typing finger. Once again, a day to remember the originator of the thread. I believe the standard he set, along with Reg later, is being maintained by yourself, and I thank you for that. I would finally suggest that if the "real" Military Aircrew on this thread can put up with me, you Sir have no worries. Wow, that's a lot of words for an ex rigger I hope it's not too OTT !!!!!!

Stay well Danny, and fondest memories of Cliff "Habe fabula vivit"

I have the honour to remain, Sir, your obedient servant

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 4th Jun 2013 at 23:26.