PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2013, 22:12
Danny42C

To Whom it May Concern.

Tomorrow (5th) is the fifth anniversary of the day when Cliffnemo (RIP) penned the first Post on this (probably the most successful and best loved) of all the Military Aircrew Threads. To date it has attracted nearly 4000 Posts and a quarter-million hits. One thing has characterised it from the outset. There has always been at least one "regular" contributor who had "Gained an RAF Pilot's Brevet in WW2" and, after the war, continued post war flying either in the RAF or in Civil Aviation.

Now it looks as this continuity may be broken. My future 17 years of RAF service will all be in ATC. I shall never fly again. It is possible (and earnestly to be hoped) that another old-timer may appear to "pick up the torch", but this seems increasingly unlikely as the months go by.

This may well put the Moderators in some quandary. There is already an established ATC Forum, and they may think it logical that I should "set up shop" there, with some such title as "Tales of Old ATC" or some such. This Thread could then be closed.

Frankly, I should like to stay where I am. I've had a quick look at the ATC Forum, and it seems to be almost entirely "technical" in nature. I suppose the "Nostalgia" Forum is also a possibility, but that does not appeal to me either.

On my own behalf, I can advance one argument. For the next ten years at least, I shall be almost exclusively working with the ex-war aircrew who formed the mainstay of ATC up to the early '60s. The stories I shall tell will all have their roots in that background.

Now I throw this open to you all, and respectfully await the decision of the Moderators.

Danny42C

Last edited by Danny42C; 4th Jun 2013 at 22:16. Reason: Error