PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2013, 22:01
Lonewolf_50

Received 421 Likes on 263 Posts
On the other hand, I do not accept pilots may demand to fly a damaged aircraft over large populations. Whatever some claim, it is a compromise and the people on the ground have a say.
The same canard is once again raised.

First off, on a practical basis, no you don't have a say. You (or me were I in London) are already on the ground, the pilot is trying to get there with his load of pax. All of them.

Secondly, they have to fly over a populated area any time they want to get to that airport, damaged or not.

Thirdly, pilot has X evidence of the extent of the damage 'in situ' and you are looking at this with hindsight.

Fourthly, with the cowlings gone, in the terminal area, there is a limited ability to triage (i.e. go back out of the cockpit and have a look) if what one needs to do AS A CREW is get that thing back to the airfield safely. (Or at another field, which is a PILOT's judgment call, not a "I am standing on the ground" person's judgment call.

This line of wrong has been addressed again and again in this thread already. With respect, sir, you are out of line regarding the bolded part of your post.

EDIT: for ye olde pilot and your picture. See my last sentence in the paragraph above this one in re your game with photographs.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 4th Jun 2013 at 22:05.