PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2013, 21:46
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slip & Turn

You are starting to catch on as to how the securing latch position can me ambiguous, in the photo in your last post the catch B positron is seemingly clear but when veiwed from some positions and with the cowling not quite together as in this picture.

As said about six hundred posts ago I at one time carried a screwdriver that I could use to ( among other things ) use to load the cowling and test the security of the latches. The screwdriver was with me during the time I was in line maintenance, then as a flight engineer and finally as a pilot.

Unfortunately a few years back the aviations security system in the UK decided that as a pilot I could not be trusted with such a dangerous impliment as a screwdriver so the days of by being able to check cowling security or even the level of the fuel on the aircraft using the sticks are over.......... I will let you draw your own conclusion as to the relationship between flight safety and the security system.

What I do find totaly stupid is that some people think that Boris island is the answer to the fallout from eight cowling latches being left undone, we need to look much closer to home and see what pressures and distractions are imposed of the working lives of pilots and maintenance staff that was at the root of this problem.

Last edited by A and C; 4th Jun 2013 at 22:01.