PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Those of you in the CEP "hold pool" forget it...
Old 12th Oct 2001, 01:11
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 156 Likes on 60 Posts
All wise words - and Scroggs I refuse to hit a man wearing glasses...

The difference I see this time around is that 10 years ago there was no low-cost sector. Shorthaul BA never made money. With - Low cost coming into being the losses they now make are possibly no longer sustainable.

Virgin for example would not be affected as they are a long haul only airline. The Charters are not affected as they have never had one arm propping us the other - merely summer/winter schdules to balance. The transient and historic cycle will surely come and go as many have pointed out and drawn examples from.. Except, except, this time WILL BA shorthaul survive?

Between Franchising to BMed and GBAirways, between Brymon and Brit Regional buying Embaraers and being able to fly half way down Europe, between easyJet, Ryan and GO offering point to point cheaply and with sometimes equally attractive branding, between the decline of the all in one travel agent and the sort-it-yourself independent traveller with access to the Net and travel search engine.. can anything other than the 'very hard to break into; premium long haul routes remain profitable and in BA hands..?

I don't know.

But things are different now. As its only BA that do a full TEP then perhaps the TEP idea itself is now past its date?

Probably not. But possibly so. How things change and in what short order.

Cheers,