PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2013, 21:29
Barling Magna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visited the Classic Air Force at Newquay today. A really nice set of folks there and a good setup. It was great to sit in the Dakota's cockpit and to see the rest of the collection. It was a bonus to see the Thomson Dreamliner doing touch and gos.

Having never been to Newquay Airport before, I was dismayed by the lack of signposting to the Classic Air Force. The result was that I followed the Airport signs and drove to the passenger terminal. Now I knew the Classic Air Force was there somewhere, but it took me two more attempts to find it - it's a big airport with several roads around it. Once I'd finally arrived over the far side of the site, on enquiring I was told that the County Council refuse to allow any signs to be put up until the museum has approved its attractiveness as measured by "footfall". The museum has put its own signs up but Council officials have removed them! Seems a crazy situation to me - why would the Council make it more difficult for the Museum to prove its attractiveness? Apparently they are currently attracting about 80 visitors per day, but I'm sure they would get more if the museum was appropriately signposted.

The museum isn't entirely blameless though; their leaflet leaves a lot to be desired - no map, for a start, and no directions either......

I wish the Classic Air Force well; they deserve to succeed. And good luck to NQY too. It was pretty quiet today apart from the 787, just one Dash 8 and one Hawker Hunter while I was there.