PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2013, 19:36
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Seems that our man mastered the art of taxying eventually and indeed of flying, for he ended up doing it for a living. His career included being the Spy in the Sky for Piccadilly Radio, that involved flying, keeping up a running commentary on traffic hotspots, and working Manchester ATC simultaneously:-
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircr...-canberra.html

My memories are of a period some six years later, but the obvious affection and even respect amongst his peers rings true for another man. Just before I was posted to Changi, there was a Court Martial of a Captain there. Among other duties he was often on the Christmas Island shuttle, routeing back via Brisbane. On arrival there a Holden station waggon would reverse up to the rear door and certain unmanifested items offloaded and whisked away. The pattern became so well known that the shuttle was rerouted through Newcastle, but the Holden merely diverted there as well. Eventually these and other demeanours brought our man to book. The outcome was inevitable but the Defending Officer hoped to extend the proceedings with various character witnesses. His enthusiasm was not shared by his client however who merely wanted the verdict pronounced and to take the rap. His wife had already gone off to Australia and he was soon to follow. They both settled down there raising sheep, showing a very good return on our investment. Or so I was told...
The general impression was that he was a likeable rogue. I'm not so sure he would rate such a forgiving attitude from his peers these days...

Last edited by Chugalug2; 4th Jun 2013 at 20:43.