PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Penang, Western Hill and Butterworth
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2013, 16:23
Wwyvern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Badger,

We had married quarter 1003, third from the end, at Tanah Merah from 1965 to 68. It was an old style bungalow, no air conditioning. Some purpose built new style OMQs were put up in the patch, and they had air conditioning. I preferred our style with its very large rooms and amahs' quarters out back.

The family returned on holiday in the late 1990s. Our old quarter was then used as a kindergarten.

I went back in 2010. There are no married quarters at Tanah Merah now, only a massive army barracks. The present OMQs are directly opposite the RMAF College gates. Junior officers have apartments and seniors have houses of increasing size from major upwards. The old areas within the base were recognisable, but it has expanded very much, providing flying training on elementary aeroplanes and on helicopters.

Went to have a drink at the Kedah Club, which used to be wooden-built. It is now a massive marble-like structure. I remember down-town Alor Star as a pretty run-down but friendly place. It's now a much more of a city, all dual carriageways and modern buildings.

Good to see it has prospered.