PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Penang, Western Hill and Butterworth
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2013, 15:13
Lonewolf_50

Received 449 Likes on 284 Posts
RAAF Butterworth:

I was involved in a fly past for the Malaysian Sultan's Jubilee in summer of 1990. The folks at Butterworth were great to us. We shore based off of our cruiser to practice with the Brits, Japanese, Indons, Kiwis, Malaysians, and a host of others in a sixteen plane aerial "pass in review" in mixed formation.

I recall Malaysian Wasps leading the way with vertical cables, weighted, adorned with flags, followed by a collectoin made up of .. a jaunty Alouette (French), Huey (Italian), Lynx (Brit), Sea King (Japanese), BO105 (Indonesian), Kiwi Wasp, our Seahawk, and a few others.

The Russians were in town, and had a Helix on the back of a Udaloy destroyer, but their political masters forbade them from participating in the fly past. (I was very bummed, wanted to meet and compare notes with Flying Ivan now that the wall was down. ) We weren't allowed to talk to them, as our Pres and theirs were bickering over Lithuaina that week ... that's another story for another time).

Penang: that was good liberty, and as above, the folks at RAAF Butterworth were most excellent hosts. Goodonya, Aussies.