PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2013, 14:45
Lonewolf_50

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts
Assuming the F-4 is the bigger circle there, I note it is now in a very good firing position against the other aircraft there. A nice lag Fox 1. F-4 wins again! QED.
Lord love an old Phantom jockey.
IIRC, cornering velocity for F-4 was 450 kt and 6.5 G, but I also seem to recall that q would bleed like a stuck pig.
The F-4S with the leading edge slats would, per an old Phantom jockey pal of mine, given you a good turn at 450/7.5 ... one last look at a sweet shot before you broke it of/unloaded, or departed ... hehe.

Speed and altitude is where Phantoms had an advantage for a while, but the Eagle (and its better wing loading and thrust to weight) took it to the next level. Likewise the Viper. ORAC: you beat me to the Boyd reference, it's a good one.

Then Clinton/Aspin/Perry emerged, waved their wands and shouted JOINTERIUS LOWCOSTICUS! which drove improved air-to-air farther to the back of the bus than before.
Don't get me started on the "it must be better if it's Joint" crap all rooted in the Goldwater Nichols Act of 1986. (ad infinitum)

Next, the Professor-General Nordens of industry pulled out their wands and yelled EODAS INVINCIBILITAS! to convince more people that "maneuvering is irrelevant."
I seem to recall that "guns weren't needed" when the F-4 arrived, and they had to backtrack and add a gun to the Tomcat when they found out that it just wasn't so in the air battles over Viet Nam.

Some good stuff, and a shame F-22 production run was so short.
(yet again)