PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's happened to Genghis the Engineer? Two
Old 4th Jun 2013, 13:41
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Rant over and I must make it clear that this is not to be taken as an attack on Genghis, as he shows he has a responsible attitude and a straight and level aeronautical mind and I assume he has professional reasons for not using his own name
No offence taken. But in general terms I imagine that my reasons for preferring anonymity (or in reality, dual identity, as my real name isn't that secret, but I will nonetheless never state it on any BB where I post as Genghis), are pretty similar to most other people's, which are:-

- I work across several bits of aviation, but have expertise in others and other fields that's less evident. Given that, I'd rather be judged on my words and any bulletin-board reputation, than my reputation and associations elsewhere.

- Plausible deniability for my boss should I occasionally post in working hours.

- Not wanting anything I say to be seen as the formal view of any organisation I may happen to be an officer of.

I don't think I'm at-all unusual in that.

It's interesting to compare however PPrune (or Flyer, or Euro-GA) to non-anonymous BBs. The anonymous boards (or should we say, optionally anonymous boards) are generally much healthier in terms of discussions.

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 4th Jun 2013 at 13:43.