PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you like to practice in the simulator
Old 4th Jun 2013, 11:10
BizJetJock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most posters seem to have missed that the OP is talking about the initial type rating course, not recurrent training. For recurrents, I agree with all the replies, particularly the one from alas8.

However for the OP, here are my comments:
Profile descent from cruise altitude to touch-down using a DME v Altitude profile in varying winds. This is done by hand flying on instruments without automatics.
This is part of line training - or should be. Why waste time in the sim practicing something that can be done on normal ops?

Manual handling practice at landing with strong crosswinds until competent at touching down with no drift applied. Autothrottle off.
Most sims are so poor at modelling crosswind behaviour that this is not of great benefit in the sim. In principle it is a line training item again, but in reality there are never crosswinds around when you want one!

Manual handling of landing on performance limiting runway length and that to include all flaps up approach.
Certainly in Europe this is a required item for the type rating, so should be being done already.

High altitude (30,000 ft and above) stall recovery to safe level flight and low altitude stall recovery in landing configuration below 1000 ft AGL.
As above!

Loss of all engines culminating in a forced landing to a runway. Best known as a `dead-stick` landing.
I disagree with this being on the initial course, it is something to bring in once someone has time on type. Training for the day when you have a double engine failure and the captain is incapacitated seems to be a bit far fetched....

Normally a new low hours F/O will have a safety pilot on the jumpseat until the training captain is satisfied that he would be able to cope with an incapacitation (already practiced in the sim); therefore I think overall that you are being a bit unnecessarily pessimistic about the whole issue.

Happy flying - just don't eat the fish!