PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2013, 10:57
gatbusdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that say we as flight crew should always make sure that all panels, cowls, latches etc are closed you would never get anywhere on time, and I would go as far as to suggest if we don't trust other professionals to complete their tasks as trained then you would never be able to fly in known icing conditions.

Could you imagine getting to the drive through deicing in Toronto for example, after deicing you would have to go back to an area with steps, get off the aircraft to check the wings and the tail have been deiced properly then go again, oh hang on my holdover time has run out!

I trust our engineers to close and latch cowls, I trust deicing crews, I trust refuelers to close fuelling panels, I trust ground handlers to close GPU panels and so on and so forth. We are all trained professionals and as such we expect each and everyone of us to carry out our respective jobs on the ramp.

My 10 pence, the crew seemed to have managed, what was a dynamict situation very well. I'm grateful, as ever, to learn from other people's mistakes (you can bet your bottom dollar that engine cowls are being more vigorously checked on walk around now).