PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind landing query
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2013, 10:25
phiggsbroadband

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I used to be confused about the action of the rudder pedal, thinking it was like riding a bike with your feet on the handlebars.... But it's not, It's the opposite. You push the pedal and the wheel goes towards that pedal... strange...

At one stage before I pressed a pedal, I was thinking out the mechanics of the situation... Press right pedal, pulls the right cable, pulls right bell-crank, brings more rudder to that side, which forces the tail to the left. You don't want to be going through all that thought process in the flare.

So I devised a strategy that helps me decide which pedal to press for a cross wind landing... On final I press the downwind rudder pedal, to see how much it really does align me with the runway, then I just lightly hover my foot over that pedal, to partially reduce the crab. For the actual touch-down, I give that pedal the full amount of push required. This generally ends up as a one wheel landing with the downwind wheel landing next then the nose-wheel some time later. Some aircraft require a considerably strong push on the pedal to get the amount of movement required.

If you are still confused, the Wind-Sock or Yaw-String always points to the ruder pedal you will need to press.