PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 3rd Jun 2013, 23:01
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whoops;

Sorry boys, I flubbed it a bit saying Dolan. I what I really meant was the "ATSB" (woolly thinking). I just meant to say that the 'problem' exists and must be dealt with. Much as in any operation where a 'real' live safety issue presents, you can't just sit on your arse and wait for a 'change' of whatever. I guess with 20/20 what I was getting at is should another event, such as the Brasilia, Canley Vale, Norfolk or any of the many other badly analysed events reoccur, "we" are going to be in a world of hurt. Have a look at the Robbo case history. The advice needed to prevent a reoccurrence still is not out there. Sure, we can try to sort it out, but without solid data, we are just making it up; and, if push comes to shove, it's anyone's guess what would be the repercussions of an inquiry into a similar accident should the home made 'fix' be judged wrong.

For my two bob's worth, the industry and courts rely heavily on the probity and quality of an ATSB report. Reported issues, (such as life jacket questions) need, I believe, to addressed swiftly. Imagine the fuss if some unfortunate drowns in the same situation. To do a Sunny, and put it another way, the safety case will not improve with time like a good claret. We need reliable answers to questions now, not at some point in the future. 24/7 operations - there is no time to waste on rhetoric and certainly not for political tap dancing at glacial speed.

Aye well; Serves me right for thinking out loud, before second coffee. Mea culpa.

Last edited by Kharon; 3rd Jun 2013 at 23:02.