PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind landing query
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2013, 02:27
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
I trust that what you've been reading about crosswind landings is the procedure in the Flight Manual for the aircraft.

Yes, "keeping the speed up" will cause a prolonged flare/float. All the more opportunity to be blown off the side of the runway. Though I agree that it might not be the Flight Manual recommended procedure - and it prevails - I fly EVERY landing with the maximum available flap extended. That means that you are flying or rolling more slowly, which means anything which goes wrong will take longer to go wrong, and have less energy if it does.

If I cannot maintain the runway heading in configuration, on approach, I'm going to have trouble landing. I will find a comfortable speed, which might be a few knots faster than normal, but never as much as ten knots faster. This is more an allowance for gusts, than the crosswind itself.

I don't so much land positive, as simply don't expect or work for a greaser. The technique is still the same, keep the nose up. You have lots of rudder effectiveness at touchdown speed, rely on it, rather than nosewheel steering. Do not land flat and fast, this is a recipe for disaster in a crosswind.

Try deliberately putting down the upwind mainwheel, and holding the downwind main and nosewheel for a while. The plane will do it, and there is nothing wrond with applying full aileron as the downwind main settles on. You're slowing down, and keeping it straight - without burning up brakes, or sliding tires...

It just take practice....

My person record for crosswind was 19 gust 25 kts direct crosswind while flight testing a modified Caravan (for crosswind control). It did require full rudder a few times. I have taken off the 150 in 38 G 43 kts, 30* off the runway heading, but I did not attempt to land back at that runway, I flew to one directly into that wind.