PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SFAR 73, Enhanced training in autorotation procedures?
Old 2nd Jun 2013, 12:21
JohnDixson

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Maintenance Manual

TET and SAS, an interesting and good discussion on a sometimes misunderstood subject.

Quote:
Yes I think you did, but I advocate setting it as per the MM book, (not just within the range allowed by the POH book) as the MM tells you the correct setting for your given weight at time of test so that at all weights then all one has to do is put the collective on the bottom and the RRPM will settle at the correct setting for that weight. Auto RRPM will vary in direct relationship to your weight.

The OEM will typically put an auto Nr chart in the maintenance manual that is a crosscheck against the collective rigging instructions. The chart should account for the ability to achieve Nr at full low collective that is within the approved power off range, for aircraft at minimum weight and at certified density altitudes. Consideration of Low DA's associated with cold temps result in low collective rigging that will certainly require a pilot doing an auto at high DA's to apply a significant amount of collective to prevent exceeding the high Nr limit ( perhaps I misread your statement as quoted above ).

There have been one or two machines that have included re- rigging instructions for the low collective stop when operating in temperatures below xx degrees, for instance.

Just background.

Last edited by JohnDixson; 2nd Jun 2013 at 12:24. Reason: Phrasing