PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft ferry pilots
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2013, 07:05
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
27/09. I, for one found NW Pilot's input enlightening. Considering that the original part of this thread pertained to ferry flying and considering that -whether we like to admit it or not - the USA is still the hub of the general aviation universe; hence probably over 50% of small to medium aircraft ferry flights originate there, it is useful to know the FAA's position.

Most ferry flights that do originate in the USA - and many going the other way - are done on private flight plans, in N- registered aircraft. The reason for staying with the N rego is that the FAA are better to deal with for overweight ferry permits and temprorary tank installations. Try that on with our CASA....good luck!

I have been ramp checked by the FAA when ferrying on at least three occasions; once in distant Majuro. Good to know that, unless I am the registered owner, I'd better have a current class one medical that enables me to use either my FAA CPL or validated foreign ATPL.

On the other hand, if I am ferrying on the VH register, and doing the job for a mate with no money directly changing hands, I will do so on a PPL if so inclined.