PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light twins - single-engine climb performance
Old 1st Jun 2013, 23:17
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F900X

Totally agree there is no way an aircraft will climb to its service ceiling for single engine.
Thats it cruise service ceiling and that backs up my argument of why attempt to climb?
Why put the aircraft into having a higher AOA and resulting drag trying to haul a deadweight airframe skywards with one engine.
Unless of course your light and temps are cold.
If a pilot is disciplined enough to peg blue line he is not gurananteed a climb! he is not even guaranteed level flight and maybe even have to fly blue line with a negative reading on the VSI and altimeter.
That is the problem because the training drums it into pilots to climb and when they do not they pull back! Dropping airspeed, more AOA, more drag, more rudder its all going pair shaped fast.

I had an engine failure at 200 feet in a Seneca 4 WITH 100 HRS TT and at grosse.
3 sheared rocker shafts caused by overtorque at manufacture.
The engine was probably still producing 30% power although vibrating badly!
I knew instinctively that if I followed my training by feathering and shutting down the unit i was going to go one way and that was down.
So I kept it going with one hand poised on the prop lever incase there was a bang and coaxed it up to 800 feet where the vibrations got so bad that once level I shut it down, came round and landed.
So I am a firm believer that you have a number of potential ways out! blue line and climb is one but not always the right choice and there are other options which are not taught in the multi engine rating syllabus.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 1st Jun 2013 at 23:22.