PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the point of this forum?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2013, 22:03
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies and Gentleman,

In my opinion there are many of us who miss the point entirely, for different reasons. I for one love the idea that PPRuNe has a spotters forum. There are not many industries that promote interest by combining hobbyists with professionals. I would love the idea of being able to talk to a surgeon...I have a feeling it would be a cold day in hell were the medical community to set something up akin to PPRuNe (although if you know of one, let me know).

The issue I have, like many professional pilots, is that too often I find myself sick to the stomach because a spotter has decided it is good fun to chase an aircraft in distress, or wants to comment on the work we do without having the most basic of facts. As someone else pointed out, it is a little frustrating to come on here to provide a professional opinion on a subject for the benefit of spotters, only to be told "that's not what Wikipedia says."

Personally, I enjoy providing information to enthusiasts. So very often it is the enthusiast, or the son/daughter of the enthusiast, who becomes a professional, and can then give something back. I've said before I used to be a spotter so I know what it's like. However, to come and try to give something back only to see people getting a kick from someone in serious trouble, or telling me that my "crosswind landing technique could use some work" does get my back up.

I perhaps wonder if both sides should look to another industry as an example. My aforementioned medical industry will do just fine. Since when are you allowed to listen in on operating or emergency room communications? Since when would a doctor not tell you to stuff yourself if you were to turn around and tell them "nah, you're wrong." Since when do doctors get the chance to sit down with patients and have a good yarn about medical procedures?

Spotters: you need to have a little respect for the pilots who are willing to take their time and provide you with the inside information that makes spotting that much more enjoyable.

Pilots: we need to remember that spotters simply want insight into their hobby and that's it's an honour to be respected in a manner that generates spotting in the first place.

All in all, lets try and have a little more respect from all sides and there should never be a need to get rid of this forum.

That, my friends, would be a cold day all around.

Last edited by +TSRA; 1st Jun 2013 at 22:06. Reason: Grammar and slight content.