PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need advice from European pilots
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2003, 08:18
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Much easier when you ask specific questions!
So what's the deal with this frozen ATPL stuff? is it not the same licence as an FAA ATP
No.

FAA CPL/IR = UK ATPL(f)
FAA ATP = UK ATPL
How is it talking to ATC in Europe? does each country have it's own accent? do they all use same phraseology?
Yes, of course they all have different accents, but that shouldn't be a problem. They should all use the smae phraseology, as specified by ICAO, in theory - they'll certainly understand you if you use ICAO phraseology, and reply appropriately. Some smaller airfields might not speak English - unlikely to be an issue for commercial aviation, but for private flying if you want to go somewhere a little more interesting you may need to learn some foreign ATC phrases first. I haven't been to anywhere like that yet myself, though.
how are Instrument procedures? and is there a unified "sectional" for each country...same symbols and all?
I'm not instrument rated yet, so not really certain - I'll let someone else have a go at answering that. As far as VFR flight is concerned, though, there are some minor differences between charts for each country, but nothing that can't be sorted out by spending an hour or two looking over a chart before you go to the relevant country.

As I said in my first reply, "an aeroplane flies exactly the same way in America as it does in Europe". It sounds like you've found the most appropriate route for you - so now just go and do it!

FFF
--------------