PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To IMC or not to IMC?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2013, 16:24
daxwax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To IMC or not to IMC?

Hi everyone
So yesterday I passed my PPL revalidation after ten years off. Delighted! It all came back fairly readily and thanks to Stapleford Flight Centre.

My question is whether you think I should try to get an IMC rating? (and I'm aware of the 8th April 2014 cut off for EASA)
Or instead should I simply use the privileges of my PPL to increase my skill, confidence, experience etc?

I will be flying a Diamond DA40 out of Stapleford so single engine. It's a lovely aircraft with all the IFR bells and whistles but no anti-ice. (and glides like a errrr...... glider which takes a bit of getting used to!)
My main type of flying going forward is likely to be touring with a friend or fellow PPL. I have about 140 hours total time - 70 of that was with East Midlands UAS where I got my PIFG but it was a fair while ago.

What do people think? Would an IMC rating be money and experience well spent or would I be better off simply hour building PPL? Would I actually feel confident enough to use an IMC rating in anger if I got it ie being single engine, in or above cloud? And would it then become a hassle keeping it valid?

Thanks - I realise that this is a question with no 'right' answer.