PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice
Thread: Career advice
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2013, 15:45
dirk85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career advice

Hello everyone!

I need a little bit of advice from you fellow aviators.

I have been flying, and I still do, a midsize business jet for about 3 years and a half, with a company change in the middle.
My total time is about 1600 hours, with more than 1000 hours on this particoular type, on different companies.

I see no future in this company, but most of all, I find myself totally unhappy: with the current (lack of) roster the quality time I am able to spend at home is very low. Not that I would have much money to spend in my days off anyway, since the salary is ridicously low. The colleagues are all nice and all, but the motivation level among the pilots is below ground level. No respect whatsoever toward employees by the company, and no sign of improvements. Any attempt to improve is just a waste of time and energy.
For the first time since I fly, I have experienced what it means going to work, and actually hating every second of it. And beware, I love flying, and I love general aviation flying.

I spend all my time sending out CV, but the type I fly is not particoulary marketable at the moment.

Having said that I have now the remote possibility to join another company, operating turboprop, not far from where I live now.
The money would be slightly better, and people working there seem to be reasonably happy.

Would you consider this kind of move at this point?
Jet to Turboprop... not such a great career move, one would say.

Other things that make me think... this job I have right now is not good, but still in some way might allow me to make some contacts... as you know in this business networking is the key. Thing that would be much more difficult in an Airline.

I appreciate any kind of advice.

Thank you!