PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging of Instrument Flight Time open to faking
Old 1st Jun 2013, 09:38
OpsNormal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centaurus does raise some valid points however having been through the selection process of the operator being referred to recently, any shortcomings in one's claimed IF time become immediately apparent. There are a number of members of staff involved in the recruitment process who are very astute at getting to know how a candidate's performance aligns with his/her logbook and are very good at weeding out those who are not so aligned...

On one hand Australia still has a number of Commuter category turbo props in service in which an autopilot would be a well recieved part of the avionics (such as most Metros, some Jetstreams etc). It is usually found that these people have a very good manipulative skill set while they are current on these machines. While no-one can truly say for certain that the claimed IF hours on these aircraft are true in all senses of the word, what IF they are actually doing is old school IF being hand flown. Most other multi crew turbo prop operators have a column in their paperwork for the recording of IF time. Those who tend to round up "significantly" are usually soon identified and a quiet word sought...

I must admit I have seen some interesting interpretations of IF, even from one well known FSM from another section of the organisation being discussed in an "informal chat" one day.

My IF? A quick look shows a bit below average it seems at around 7% of my Total Time. I must try harder it seems but I will say one thing - the way my new employer lists IF experience on their website you'd need well above the minimum specified total time hours for a look in at a position.

What percentage of pilots are deliberately over logging IF? I wouldn't know, but reckon they'd get found out fairly quickly if they did so in any of the operations I've been involved in to date.

Regards,

OpsN.