PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Penang, Western Hill and Butterworth
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2013, 04:19
Davita

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In 1955 I had just graduated as a Halton brat (18 years old) when detached, via a Hastings, to RAF Butterworth to service our Canberra Sqn. No? which was engaged in bombing the Communist Terrorists in the jungles of Malaya. This detachment was very influential to my future as I savoured the delights of Asian food, girls, attitude and weather.
After returning to UK on a Canberra, to be quickly engaged in the attacks on the Egyptian airfields during the Suez crisis, I then found myself leaving Liverpool on the SS Oxfordshire to Singapore.
On arrival, in company with some ship friends who had started a skiffle group which later became the Barron Knights Group in UK, we were dispatched by train accompanied with bren guns, as security, back to Butterworth, where I spent 18 months servicing transit aircraft.
My time enjoying Penang was terminated as the airfield was handed over to be RAAF Butterworth and I drove my new (to me) Riley Pathfinder all the way to Singapore via RAF KL. My girl friend (a telephone operator from Bukit Mertajam) later followed and we married in Singapore.
After training as a Flight Engineer (F/E), and then OCTU, and a career as an RAF Hastings/VC10 F/E and later with Cathay Pacific based in Hong Kong flying on B707/L1011/ B747, I retired to Vancouver.
I sill couldn't get Asia out of my lifestyle and now have a Make Malaysia your 2nd Home (MM2H) visa in my passport and often visit Penang and KL from my new home in Bali, Indonesia.

I believe there is a saying that you can take the man out of Asia but not take Asia out of the man. Many other posts on this thread indicate that is a truism.

Or, as General McArthur said, after WW2......"I will return!"