PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2013, 17:39
Alber Ratman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Design fault maybe, but the latches on a 73 or 75 are not much different. One Engineer forgot to latch them, could have been a mechanic and the stamper hasn't checked the work, a CAT A who forgot. However if it was a service check, the cowls should have been on that task card for the check. I can remember anywhere I have worked where dupes on cowls happens, oil tank caps, yes, but not cowls. The last resort was on the walkround, and that was missed too, but nobody has mentioned any possible reasons for all these cheese holes lined up.. MEDA will be interesting.

As for latch condition, if you try and close the doors to latch them, with the latches in the open position (handle unlocked from the lug), the lug floats about and can trap between the cowls, making it impossible to reposition them on the correct location. I was shown and did carry out the closing operation with the latches shut, close the doors, unlock the latches, locate the lugs on the hooks then lock them. However once closed, I would lock them shut and never walk away until I did..

Last edited by Alber Ratman; 31st May 2013 at 17:47.