PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Switching cockpits
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2013, 15:42
Hotelpresident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...but my opinion is suspect, since I have never flown commercial carriers. As an anecdote - since this is a flight test forum - flight testers are often multi-qualified and the types may be quite dissimilar. The T-38 is a tandem-seat fast jet with ejection seat. There were handles on both sides next to the thighs, and pulling either would result in ejection. The Phantom, another tandem-seat fast jet, had a face-curtain actuator for the seat. On touchdown, the pilot would deploy a drag chute which was actuated by pulling up on a handle next to the left thigh. While in test training I was flying both regularly, and I was always VERY nervous on touchdown. Before actuating the drag chute after every F-4 landing, I would methodically double-check the entire cockpit to convince myself that I was indeed flying a Phantom and not a T-38.
Most of the time if you apply common sense those problems are overcome. Even more what I understand is that you faced a bad cockpit design something overcome in the modern jet (civil & military).

Last edited by Hotelpresident; 31st May 2013 at 15:44.