PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Sliding" on touchdown
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2013, 13:48
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I realise I am being pedantic and know the normal is 1.3 x flap set above the stall.

The most accurate is to use an AOA gauge

But flying too fast and floating is still a technique error as you can fly literally onto the ground with minimal flare.

There are conditions where the last thing you want is to be holding off at the mercy of the winds and any shear or up currents.

In that situation putting it down is far preferable.
holding off to land near the stall is one way but not the only way to land!
As long as your aircraft is not short coupled mains to nose you could theoretically land at cruise speed! If on landing at cruise speed you shoot 50 feet into the air sorry its still technique which is wrong not landing the aircraft at high speed!

As stated in a similar thread a friend of mine with control problems landed a Citation at 200 kts intact at Edinburgh way over the tire speeds and ref speeds of 105 kts ( Mad Jock was there when it happened and am sure will verify)

So if you float off the runway it's technique you need to get right not so much speed.

If you ever get to fly faster and heavier machines the last thing you want is to be holding off to get a smile on the MDs face with a perfect touchdown only to sail off the end of the runway with a smile turning to a look of horror

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 31st May 2013 at 16:36.