PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging of Instrument Flight Time open to faking
Old 31st May 2013, 13:04
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing is, where does it say that IF time should only be logged while hand flying anyway? The company I work for, recommends the use of the autopilot for as much of the flight as possible to reduce pilot workload, among other things. If I could only log IF for the times that I were handflying, then it'd take me a month to log 0.1 IF
I don't think there are any ICAO civil regulations that state anything about hand flying as a prequisite to log instrument flight time. But you make a interesting point about you would only log 0.1 in a month for the times you handflew on instruments. Let's be clear on this point, though. Hand flying on instruments requires certain skills.

Watching an autopilot fly the aircraft in cloud or at night in IMC takes another set of skills, particularly if you are having your lunch on your knee, and admiring the attractive FA when she brings in the coffee.

Obviously there is a world of difference. Decades back, both in civil aviation and the military, it was considered cheating yourself if you logged autopilot time on the clocks. In fact, the RAAF log books issued in those times specifically directed that instrument time could only be logged if hand flying. This recognised the fact that experience with hand flying on instruments was considered valuable and a vital part of assesssment of a pilots flying experience. Not so nowadays, as seen above where watching the autopilot becomes a boring exercise so much that pilots have been known to fall asleep.