PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft separation/confliction
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2013, 10:11
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As with all alspects of life, Be Aware. Whether watching out for rogue buses whilst walking in the street, or flying your aircraft at 5k. Situational awareness, of all aspects of the flight is what it is all about.

I flew over to Ireland yesterday, and had three see and avoid. On the morning flight to Ireland, crossing Arran, and speaking with Scottish, a light aircraft across my bow. I saw him, he did not see me. About 2 miles in front, same level. Then a Loganair Twin Otter, same level, I knew he was coming, but saw him late, passed my RHS, about 100 feet below me. He saw me, before I saw him.

Late afternoon, another Twin Otter out of Campbeltown, passing through my level, me at 4400, he going to 5, both GOW inbound. I saw him take off as I passed overhead, again talking to both Cambeltown and Scottish, everyone keeping everyone else alert and aware. Now, that, FOR ME WAS A VERY BUSY DAY, where three sets of traffic, could, if I was not aware, and talking, could have ruined my day. That was CAVOK.

I know lots of people do not want to talk on the radio, and prefer to go flying in silence, and they are free to do that. But, I would always advocate to listen in to the pertinent frequency, and at least be aware of what is happening around you, even if you do not want to communicate with them.

Last edited by maxred; 31st May 2013 at 10:14.