PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2013, 09:58
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been away for a while but do have a few questions that relate to this thread.

There have been some excellent posts that have discussed the stealth aspect of this amazing aircraft but how stealthy will the thing be when carrying external ordinance? When taking off from a carrier will either be carrying external fuel pods, have a limited or very limited range or have a garage in the sky carrying much needed fuel and I doubt that beast is going to be that stealthy.

Heat signature when on the flight deck
I have been reading a number of papers that are talking about high temperatures and whilst this might not be an issue on ships that are converted to take this aircraft, will it be an issue when cross decking? I ask this because an airfield will possibly have a lot of concrete on top of maybe hard core whereas a ship has a fairly thin flight deck and then underneath that will be working spaces, accommodation or machinery rooms. All of which might not appreciate excessive heat and having said that I was under the impression this was not going to be an issue.

The F35B may be the all singing, all dancing aircraft we are told it is but I cannot help asking myself questions about the many roles it is being asked to fulfil. Marines talk about Close Air support and yes we are told this is an excellent aircraft for this role but is the definition of close air support the exact same one as those grunts on the ground are expecting?

As a carrier based aircraft is this the all singing weapon of choice with a decent range and decent stealth characteristics?

As an air to air fighter, is it capable of taking on the World's best without more suitable aircraft being present?

when paying the sums of money being asked should we expect the very, very best or should we settle for something that is moderately good at everything but not outstanding in any specific role?

Originally Posted by Courtney
Has anyone here seen this used as a successful combat manoeuvre?
Would I be correct if I suggest that the air to air confrontations during the Falklands dispute might possibly help answer that query?