PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Sliding" on touchdown
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2013, 09:38
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd largely support Pilot_DAR's summary. In this sort of situation you want to set yourself up so that you use the aerodymamic controls (wing down, rudder as required) to keep straight. Then, without forcing anything, minimize the amount of time between when you're flying and when you're not. Depending on the aircraft and the conditions, a bit of light braking can be useful to get the speed down to where the nosewheel can be safely lowered. When you're very slow and have all three wheels down, you'll feel the nosewheel steering being effective. With the C172 etc remember to use the correct aileron inputs while slowing and taxying.

You do learn to tailor things a bit. My current puddle-jumper is a Tecnam P2002 JF (low wing) It's extremely light in the nose and (being an early s/n) has no differential braking. In very strong crosswinds - particularly from the left where you can run out of right rudder - getting all 3 wheels safely planted asap is a good thing if you want to avoid weather-cocking after touchdown. I hasten to say again that you force nothing - just approach at the right speed and slow safely to the point where you can get good ground steering effectiveness.

Last edited by tecman; 31st May 2013 at 09:39.