Thread: Piper Run Ups
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2003, 00:59
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
404 Titan

Spot on regardless of manufacturer.

Symetrical power and a maximum of whatever the manual says, 1500 RPM and gently generally does the trick.

I suspect some pilots see it as a badge of honour to sit in their twin in the holding bay surrounded by single revving the guts out of the engine with much flashing of hands around the quadrant and snarling and moaning from the engines......"hey look at me".

I mean I guess the manufacturer probably doesn't know anything about his product and only writes an AFM etc. for the fun of it and as a means of selling more aircraft.

Another thing that amazes me are the huge number of pilots and enginerds in this country, who, for one reason or another have managed to amass an enormous fund of knowledge and experience that renders the manufacturers advice and recommendations as the banging of drums and tinkling of bells.

But then I guess having built more than 250,000 aircraft means that you have only been practising and need to get out more to consult the local gurus down here.

The factory pays the warranty bills, they have thousands of aircraft owners reporting back, a thinking person would reckon it would be safe to assume that whatever they recommend will work and be the least expensive way to operate the aircraft.

And that includes operating the aircraft at the "high end" of the power settings recommended in the AFM.
Operating at the "granny power" often insisted on in the many versions of "operators" (viz aero club/owner) AFM, has exactly the opposite effect to that "imagined" by the operator to "saving" engines and fuel.

My Chief Pilot probably spent as much time unlearning the bullsh!t accumulated by new hires as he did getting them up to the company standard.

From one who wrote the checks.