PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 31st May 2013, 06:57
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The discussion had already got itself wound into an incredible frenzy about Part 145, and you may recall one of the first things I said was, 'Put your hand up if you have been asked to transition to 145. Who is actually transitioning to 145?' The mistake I made is I said, 'High capacity RPT', which I had to correct to say that it is all RPT. I do make mistakes. I was considerably taken back by some of that as well.
The mistakes you made in this case included:

(1) Not understanding the rules you expect others to understand and comply with.

(2) Accusing people of misleading industry, when in fact they were merely pointing out what the rules appear to say.

(3) Not comprehending the dilemma that business people face when fundamentally important and expensive strategic decisions have to be made about new rules, and the head of the regulatory agency responsible for administering those rules says they require one thing, but the rules seem to say another.

(4) Dismissing, as untrue, a position asserted to you by adult human beings in the same room.

I reckon you’d get yourself “wound into an incredible frenzy”, too, (although I suspect that’s an insulting over-statement) if your financial future depended on rules administered by an agency whose head appears not to understand those rules, and whose officers appear not to interpret and enforce them consistently. But as you and your officers get paid the same, no matter how many mistakes you make, I guess it’s easier to remain calm and harder to be sympathetic.