PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You Know You Are In Africa When.....
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2013, 06:20
Exascot
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A positive note

Just before Christmas I was done for speeding outside Maun. The new lazer guns they have are British made No speed sign I was just supposed to know it was 60 not 80 km/hr. When he showed me the gadget I was pleased with my precise 80.1 km/hr and asked what the problem was and he explained. No point in arguing particularly when you've been in the pub all afternoon I went to the cop shop promptly to pay as I put it, 'a donation to their Christmas party fund'. I kindly asked them to explain the speed limits. He said a certain distance out of town it is 120, closer in 80, close still 60 and in town 40. He however explained (to this clearly very thick Brit) if the traffic in town is travelling slower than 40 I was to comply with this lower speed I wrote a letter to the local rag with this story, which was published, congratulating the police on their safe driving campaign (name and address supplied!)

A few weeks ago I was driving at a steady 60 km/hr, on a clear road, and a Toyota truck pulled out straight in front of me. I said to Mrs Exascot I will teach this a lesson. I pulled along side the slowly accelerating truck until I was abeam and started to easy him onto the extensive hard shoulder at the side (which most people use to accelerate up to speed on when pulling onto the road). I glanced across and saw 'Lice' down the side and presumed it was pest control. Mrs Exascot had her head in her hands say 'Oh my God Oh my God'. No stamina, this woman, I thought, until I glanced back and saw that in front of the 'lice' was 'Po' in blue letters. Abeam the truck by this point with him half shoved off the road I waved through the open windows to the driver in uniform and greeted him with a cheery 'Good afternoon officer'. he pulled over and let me past. So its not all bad