PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aerodynamic braking
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2013, 16:11
stratofactor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by typhoid
We do this quite often in heavy aircraft flight test when landing above the brake energy limit, on a long runway, and have no desire to activate the fuse plugs.

The trick is:

Touchdown
Deploy spoilers
Increase pitch attitude to maximum that provides margin from tail strike, say 2 degs less
Derotate before elevator loses effect or runway running out...
Brake

From my notes, around a 1-2kt/sec decel was possible which makes a significant effect on brake energy (much lower due to the v squareds being less)
+1

If the runway is 4,000m long, your parking spot is at the departure end, all systems are working normally, minimal cross wind, good weather, dry runway, headwind, 747-200F with brakes that tend to get hot (especially landing in the middle east when it's 45C+ outside), competent and experienced flight crew, it is not a big deal. Revers to Idle, get 4 green, add more reverse thrust. It is the difference between parking with brake temps in the amber range or brake temps in the red range. I'm not talking about running the stab trim all the way aft during rollout and trying to get every last bit of elevator authority out of the beast. Having said that, now that I am on the 744 with the carbon brakes I no longer do that procedure nor do the crews I fly with, it is not needed on the 744. Know your airplane, do some of that pilot stuff! Hundred landings in the middle east and never blew a fuse plug, but we would have 1 or 2 crews a year that did. Maybe I was just lucky!

Fire Away