PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On the Airbands - Aust Aviation - A bit lacking?
Old 25th Feb 2003, 22:04
Hugh Jarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Where's the beef?

Axiom, I don't have a beef with AOPA.I'm not a member anymore. Why?

Because membership of an association is just like any other consumer product: If it fails to meet your needs you don't buy it...

When I started flying as a recreational pilot, I found that AOPA membership was very useful and informative. The magazine wasn't bad, either.
However, as I eventually made my way into aviation as a professional pilot, I found that membership became less relevant to me. The organisation was not growing in its area of interest to meet my needs as a professional. Sure, I wrote a few letters, but they remain unanswered to this day.

I came to the conclusion that AOPA was not really interested in professional pilots, so I did not renew my membership.

That was around the same time and for the same reasons that I did not renew my subscriptions to AA and AF.

Scooter wrote an excellent analogy, which could be applied to any product or organisation. Just change the name
Aust Aviation take note.
What would I do to make it better?
Well making it appeal to a broader range is a start.
AA will find that their distribution may be greater than just 20,000 per month or whatever it is.
And have it sent out every month instead of every two months on occassion.