PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Base and Communications Flight, things of the past?
Old 30th May 2013, 11:41
NutLoose

Received 2,938 Likes on 1,252 Posts
At Benson in the early 90s 115 Sqn did a nice number in Christmas shopping trips to the Channel Islands and France.
I remember the Ten in the 80's doing a day trip to Disney World...... Florida!!
It was actually doing a Nav exercise so it was decided to offer it out to families on the station to take their kids, think they had to pay for a days ticket and hotels at the other end, then as the crew had their rest day the families enjoyed Disneyworld.
There was also the Annual yearly Ten to Legoland Denmark for disabled kids etc, Shell or whoever donating the fuel and the crew their time..

I used to bum lifts on Pumas or Chinooks heading north on exercises, so i could go home on leave our Chinooks were better as i used to take my motorbike in them.... only got stitched up once (by 33 Sqn), we landed on to meet another Puma, I thanked them, off loaded my bag and set off for the main gate at Catterick to thumb it to Carlisle..... hang on this ain't Catterick i thinks as two Pumas promptly disappear off over the hill leaving me standing in some totally deserted Pongo camp up in the back of beyond (that was only used for range firing once in a blue moon), the sole occupant at the gate informed me Richmond was that way some 10 miles!!!! luckily the only car that passed the place in an hour stopped and gave me a lift... it was so out there one expected James Herriott to be driving it. I wondered why the bloody crewman was grinning as i left...

Last edited by NutLoose; 30th May 2013 at 11:47.