PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No balls cause helicopter prang.
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2013, 00:01
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airmanship only seems to come to light when there's an accident being discussed.
I doubt very much any pilot goes out to have this sort of thing happen (collide with an object in this case wires).
It's about Airmanship for sure no issue there (bit like seamanship no ship Capt is gunna deliberately run his ship aground) but it's really about all the tiny little things that make up a particular flight. From the health of the pilot all the way thru to the currency of his equip, Eg charts etc. Obviously Wx plays a big part in any of these situations especially in this case but one has to wonder why humans tend to continue on in the face of a scenario that if looked at in the comfort of a warm room would not have certainly turned out like this.
We've all done it (well come close) gotten ourselves in a situation that we feel less comfy with than if we had have had hindsight but that's no excuse & no one's immune here.

Commercial pressure, that's probably the most driving factor here & has been the root cause of many an accident the PelAir Westy ditching comes to mind as an Eg.
All we can do is learn from other pilots mistakes, take something home from this event, store it the back of yr mind so that it might trigger yr mind into thinking I'm not gunna end up as headline news here!

Airmanship, yep it's not taught it's gained thru experience & the biggest single word in my mind that fits is "judgment", something that's lacking all too often

Fight or flight, two human traits where the first one seems to override the second where prudence would dictate otherwise.

Stay safe:-)

Wmk2

Last edited by Wally Mk2; 30th May 2013 at 00:26. Reason: the usual culprit, poor speeling:-)